Monday, August 18, 2008

The Apostle's Creed

Perhaps you have heard of the Apostle's Creed. I think this one should be known and WELL known by all Christians. This is amazing:

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.

He descended into hell.

The third day He arose again from the dead.

He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.

Amen.


This is the statement of our faith, is it not?
But there is one thing I want to point out: I didn't know this until a few weeks ago, but when it says '[I believe] the holy catholic church' it does not mean the Roman Catholic church, but the universal church of our Lord, Jesus Christ.
I have heard this creed many times since I was younger, and I still think it is very good, and a wonderful statement of our faith.
Just as a little bit more info, this creed is called the Apostle's Creed because it dates back to half a century before the last writings of the New Testament.
Tell me what you think of it!

In Christ,
Madison

2 comments:

Lady Grace said...

Wow! You posted exactly what I have been thinking! Well done! At our church we sometimes say it and I love it... Me and my sister have memorized it and now my little six year old brother, Jack, is now memorizing it. It's a PERFECT statement of faith! :D

Sorry for not introducing myself! I am Grace, a friend of Delaney's- the "Got Freckles?" blog. :) My younger sister, actually, is friends with her more while I'm friends with Maddie on the "Sweet Tea Me" blog but I like to check her blog often since it's so cute.

Well, have to go...
Nice meeting you, Madison! I'm look forward to reading your blog!

~Grace

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Grace!! I'm glad you like my blog so much! :-D
I agree, it is a perfect statement of faith.
I'll come by your blog really soon!
Thanks for commenting! I hope you come back! :-D

~Madison